Thursday 15 October 2009

Cooking Is In My Genetics

So spontaneous!

I haven't cooked anything from scratch for years, mainly because in this house I never had to cook nor did i have the right dishes to cook things in. My love for cooking has lain dormant for years, week after week I used to bake when I was younger.

I loved baking cakes! Colourful ones, chocolate ones, small ones, big ones....next to my love of baking I loved making pancakes! They were so yummy, and drool-worthy with caster sugar and lemon juice drizzled all over them.

I mentioned spontaneous...yes, on Saturday I came to the conclusion that i hadn't eaten homemade soup in my house since before my step-mum moved out. Then I had this inspiration to make tattie soup, so at 2pm on the Saturday I called my Nana, as I love her soup...to ask what she put in her tattie soup. After a ten minute conversation of running through the ingredients, and how much of this and that to put in. I set off down town with a small shopping list...Visiting the fruit&veg shop for fresh ingredients, and the butchers for some slice sausage....no I wasn't making stovies as most people keep thinking :P I liked the little chunks of slice sausage in my tattie soup.

Ingredients I used :-

8 medium size potatoes
1/2 small turnip
2 carrots
Leek
4 slice sausage
2 beef stock cubes
Parsley

I filled up 3/4 of the big soup pot with water, put it on medium heat and broke up the slice into small chunks into the water. I also crumbled two beef stock cubes into the water. Once I done that I left it to heat up and prepared my vegetables.

I washed the potatoes and peeled them, then cut them by halving them and cutting the halves into quarters so that they are just a nice size to pop into your mouth. I added these to the pot, and then I washed the carrots and peeled the top layer off them before grating them.
Then I prepared the turnip by washing it, then cutting it into more manageable sized chunks and grated them as well. I added the grated carrot and turnip into the pot, giving the the mixture a stir before I dealt with the leek.
I cut off the dark green ends of the leek, focusing on the pale green part....I gave it a thorough soak under cold water to get rid of any possible soil. I then chopped the leek very finely, and put this into the pot.

Now all the hard work has been done, I left it to cook on a medium/low heat with the lid on...occasionally giving it a stir. I added some salt and black ground pepper as well as some parsley....i cooked it until it looked rather soup like, and the potatoes and meat were tender, seems its ready to serve.

Of course I didn't take the first bite, as I used my dad as a guinea pig....even if he thought it was rather stovies like...but he said that it was cooked rather well.

I agreed when I had a taste myself, yum!

2 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

That its nana's recipe, mums is a bit different! I have it written down somewhere if you want it? also with soup, if you do the onions, leeks and carrots first, then put a bit of flour in, it thickens the liquor.

Hazels Crochet said...

That's really good to know as even though it was yummy, it could have done with thickening .

Yeah it would be really cool to have that :)